Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are regions of Europe just too poor to ever be let in to EU?
I must say i've never been to backward areas of the the European continent because i expect a 21st century lifestyle wherever i go and plan my vacations around this. There is a lot of talk going on about admitting certain countries in to the EU but can these so called countries afford it? That is what i would like to know?

Thoughts, opinions please...

Can you be more specific.. what countries are you thinking about? Smile
And what is to stop them from joining EU?

EU is now reaching its limit. The question about allowing or not allowing any country joining the EU is now being analyzed very carefully. Thinking frankly, I think not more than 5-6 countries can enter EU. The more it expands, the bigger is the risk of EU breakdown.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Under crisis surroundings, EU's developed countries might go down closer to the level of non-EU countries. The life level is obviously reducing. Therefore, non-Eu countris have bigger chances to join EU.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

Think of all the countries in the Eurovision Song Contest - some of them are nowhere near Europe :-P Perhaps Israel, Armenia and Georgia will want to join the EU too?

I am not sure what is meant ny the original question :quoi Not so long ago, Ireland, Portugal and Spain were considered poor and relatively under-developed - there were similar discussions over whether the EU would support them at the expense of other nations.

Some Eastern European countries currently appear poor compared to western countries, but are still developed and cosmopolitan. For example, Slovenia: Ljubljana was a business centre for Yugoslavia, and is a very pleasant place to visit (I found it MORE civilised than most UK cities!)

Regardless of how poor a country is, it surely has something it can be proud of. Eastern European countries' advantages is their specialization in agriculture.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

M.Helen Wrote:Regardless of how poor a country is, it surely has something it can be proud of. Eastern European countries' advantages is their specialization in agriculture.
yes Helen. But, as long as they implement nothing new in agricultural technique (i.e. technologies, equipment, researches, innovations) the Western side is nearly to surpass them in agricultural context.

Europe is now using non-EU countries for their cheap manpower. Allowing these countries joining the EU, means that an economic growth is going to reach them, which, in turn, means rise of salaries. This is not quite advantageous for EU.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

Terry Wrote:EU is now reaching its limit. The question about allowing or not allowing any country joining the EU is now being analyzed very carefully. Thinking frankly, I think not more than 5-6 countries can enter EU. The more it expands, the bigger is the risk of EU breakdown.

"Sky is falling , sky is falling " "EU is now reaching it s limits " REALLY ?? How do you know what are those limits?

I'm eurosceptic. Why? Because Europe isn't a real community, it's only a federation of states with divergent opinions... poor states and rich states.

risorgimento Wrote:I'm eurosceptic. Why? Because Europe isn't a real community, it's only a federation of states with divergent opinions... poor states and rich states.
well this federation tries to raise wealthy states within it. Every state has advantages from being an EU member. When one is down, the others help it.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

Helen said: "Every state has advantages from being an EU member. When one is down, the others help it."

"For the first time after 1990, central bank governors from Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic and Romania, countries which together have over 85 million inhabitants and a GDP of nearly 1,000 billion took a common position towards devaluing local currencies. Further, at the initiative of Poland, Hungary, Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria and the Baltic states will meet in Brussels on Sunday, March 1, before the EU summit to establish a common position."

I think that is a correct position of states in the region. Do not forget also the Russian gas crisis has not affected the West !

risorgimento Wrote:I'm eurosceptic. Why? Because Europe isn't a real community, it's only a federation of states with divergent opinions... poor states and rich states.

The same was true of the countries that formed the United States... Eventually, the people of the EU will simply identify themselves as European first and from a particular state, second...

Guest Wrote:

The same was true of the countries that formed the United States... Eventually, the people of the EU will simply identify themselves as European first and from a particular state, second...

... or, the contrary might happen. Americans were more united as the entire American territory was almost enslaved, so the power to become independent and democrat was big enough. Only a common issue can unite Europe indeed, not only officially.

The current world crisis has really put under doubt the extension of the EU. European countries can't help themselves, let alone saving others. For example, the new Czech reign is against the principle of supporting weak economies. It pronounces for analyzing every demand separately and not taking into consideration the fact whether the country is poor or rich.

Faw_Peter Wrote:The current world crisis has really put under doubt the extension of the EU. European countries can't help themselves, let alone saving others. For example, the new Czech reign is against the principle of supporting weak economies. It pronounces for analyzing every demand separately and not taking into consideration the fact whether the country is poor or rich.

it regards not only the Czech Republic. Current polls show that only one out of four Austrians are determined to participate in 2009 European elections.

And add here Ireland, who proved the lack of desire to let the EU adopt reforms. It's an indirect sign that Ireland doesn't want EU expansion.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions