Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colours in different countries
If you're a tourist you should learn about the significance of colours in different countries.
For us, Europeans, the act of giving up means a white flag. But, for the Japanese, India and China, the white colour is the colour of mourning. Also, in India white means disease.

In France, red is the aristocracy's colour. This is what make the Egyptians remain shocked, because in Egypt red means mourning.

The Chinese can't understand why Americans chose the red light as the most dangerous terrorist threat, since in China red means wealth, happiness.

It seems that the French would never find a common language with Americans. In America green is the sign of safety, while in France the green symbolizes criminality. That's why Greenpeace can't act in French.

In the Middle East, the black is the colour of love, happy marriage and family happiness.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

I was always interested why most of Turks wear white clothes. Is it because it's too hot and they don't wanna attract the sun, or it's a kind of local tradition there and it symbolizes something. Anybody knows?
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

In Japan, the red colour means danger. Also, they take red as anger and rage. This is the reason why Japanese cartoon heroes turn red when they get mad. :oops:
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”

In Egypt, blue means virtuousity, while in USA - manliness. The blue colour on the US flag on the background of stars means a manly approach against an affair/deal.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

In USA yellow means coward and faint-heartedness. In China yellow means welfare and happiness, in Japan - symbol of refinement.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

in South Africa, red is the colour of mourning, in India it's a common combination for clothing.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Red is also the color many Chinese people wear throughout the Chinese New Year. Remember that the Chinese New year is on January 26
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

It's very unlikely that somebody will buy in China black clothes, since it means evil and dirt. Of course I'm not talking about business suits, this is an exception.

In Asia, women wear clothes with the colour depending on their age. Young, unmarried girls usually wear pink, peachy and creamy clothes. Elder women wear black and gray clothes.

If you post something to Asian countries, don't create packaging or mail packages in green: It's not well-received.

New Zeland's national colour is black, as against most European countries, where it's the colour of mourning.

Terry Wrote:New Zeland's national colour is black, as against most European countries, where it's the colour of mourning.
In South Africa it's red which represents mourning, while in Egypt it's yellow

In Hindu, the spirit of red cloth, or redness itself, could combine with a person’s moral substance and transform it, such that a “red man” might be a sorcerer.

Did you know that astrology also associates every sign with a colour?
For example, Aries are associated with white, Scorpios with reddish brown.

Leo's colour is yellow. The purpose of the yellow to to become more compassionate and understandable particularly towards the self. Leos dig the truth first of all inside themselves,not in others.

I haven't heard of colours for Zodiac signs, but I do know that every year has a specific tendency in the matter of colour. For example, this year, in 2009 it is not recommended to wear red clothes as it is believed it might upset the bull (2009 is the year of the bull) and you'd get in trouble.

In this case, I thought the white color on America's flag shares some common with many European flags, where it means purity and innocence!

Anyone know what the color brown represents in any country?

Here's some info Tongue

In the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, the German Nazi paramilitary organization the Sturmabteilung (SA) wore brown uniforms and were known as the brownshirts. It was often said of members of the SA that they were like a beefsteak--"brown on the outside, and red on the inside"--because many of them were former Communists. The color brown was used to represent the Nazi vote on maps of electoral districts in Germany. If someone voted for the Nazis, they were said to be "voting brown".

Pieces of sh*ts I tell ya

In China, colours are characterised by their lightness or darkness. For instance, white is regarding as a pure colour and reflects honesty. Red is associated with good luck and a child can expect to be given a red envelope full of money on his / her birthday.

I think the color perception has something to do with the culture of these countries, which vary from country to country, they still possess a sort of deep meaning to the people practicing the beliefs. It is important to understand these different colours of these countries which you will travel in.

There are some psychological aspects of color that tend to be universal but culture plays a big part in defining how color is perceived. As does just the physical environment at times. Many a marketing and branding campaign has been ruined not considering cultural sensitivities.

[quote="Martin"]
There are some psychological aspects of color that tend to be universal but culture plays a big part in defining how color is perceived. As does just the physical environment at times. Many a marketing and branding campaign has been ruined not considering cultural sensitivities.[/
quote]

Thank you for sharing useful information about colors in different countries.

US Visas | US Immigration Forms