Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romania - elections 2008
Romanian 2008 legislative elections are going to take place in the on November 30. Also, local elections will be conducted during November.This means Romania will face an obvious change in the nearest future. Its relation with the EU and other states could swiftly take another, unexpected position.
The Parliamentary elections system will be different from the one used up to present. Thus, senators and deputies who will make up the future Parliament will mainly be made on basis of direct voting for a certain candidate.
There are a lot of candidates for taking these governmental positions. People are expecting changes to better.
I would like to hear from the Romanians, what do you expect from the elections>

Voting in the times of consumerism

Romania Libera - Romania. Romania Libera newspaper looks at the friction zone between politics and consumerism: "After two decades of aimless transformation we have become so committed to consumerism that its perverse effects are already plainly visible. For if it is true that the only things which exist are those that can be consumed and that truth is not exactly what you would describe as the most popular product, then it will be avoided. But everything that can be bought is legitimated as useful - and therefore as true - by the very act of buying. And the same applies to votes. This was clearly demonstrated during the local elections, where no one at all sought to conceal the purchase of votes. When entire communities may be bought and voters openly sell their votes, self-determination becomes just
an empty phrase. ... Democracy cannot exist if freedom is not backed up by responsible behaviour. But because democracy results from transparent, open elections, the people bear part of the responsiblity for the success or failure of democratic systems. Perhaps not as much as politics, but all the same. ...
Cynicism has become the guiding value in our transformation. If it now forces our choice and puts a diffuse freedom on a par with security ... then the monsters are already among us. Because you can only vote when you know what the alternatives are. And you can only know that if you really are free."
(14/10/2008)

Romanians became the victim of consumerism because of their tendency to join the Western World, regardless of the consequences. Moreover Romania is very much Americanized, and as we know, Americans are the first consumers in the world
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Terry Wrote:Romanians became the victim of consumerism because of their tendency to join the Western World, regardless of the consequences. Moreover Romania is very much Americanized, and as we know, Americans are the first consumers in the world
What does it mean to join "the Western World"? They joined the EU - is it the same? (then they belong more to Europe than America)
(Where were they before joining?)
How can it be possible that Romania is more Americanized than Europeanized?
I doubt if America is the explanation. I doubt it could be explained so simply.

I'm half Romanian. I can a little bit agree with Terry. Romania is a partner of the US. Yes, it did join EU, but if it had the physical possibility to join America it certainly would. Romanians are speaking a language full of American slangs. Cola is their favourite drink. There is a row of other small details which makes them Americanized.

you can watch here video news about Romanian elections
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.alegeri-parlamentare.ro/stiri_video_politice/3.html">http://www.alegeri-parlamentare.ro/stir ... ice/3.html</a><!-- m -->
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

Romanians can discover their "political personality" by accesing a website where they can find a questionnaire about the main issues test their "political platform" compared to those of the main parties. The address is busolapolitica.ro.The initiative is good but a little to late, considering that the new vote system is bringing forward the individuals to the detriment of ideologies.
However a nice exercise! BTW, if the only the Internet users were voting, PNL would win :langue

What exactly is PNL? And why would it win if only internet users would be able to vote?
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

PNL=Partidul National Liberal=National Liberal Party and on the website busolapolitica.ro has over 29%, whiles in real life it has about 15% :mrgreen:

So this probably means that the party has younger supporters who are used to the internet. What is the party's specifics? Does it backs the youth or what?

PNL is a liberal party and has supporters mainly among the middle class and youngsters. It is the party that formed a government since 2004 with the Democrats ( PD ) and the Democratic Union of Hungarians of Romania ( UDMR )and after 2006, a minority government with the last ones. Probably after the November elections the PNL will be in the opposition, but not the UDMR. The Hungarians formed coalitions with any party from Romania, excepting the nationalist party ( PRM ) :lol:

PNL all the way for me!

Are Hungarians discriminated by PNL? Why should they be in opposition? Just because Hungarians are not Romanians? It doesn't sound European-like

I think you misunderstood the prior message. Some Hungarians and other minorities choose to join mainstream parties while some prefer ethnic political parties (Romania ALLOWS political parties based on ethnicity). UDMR can and does join non-ethnic parties for various coalitions. You can research the topic at length by reading the English versions of Hungarian or Romanian publications. Naturally, if you so prefer, you can find extremist views from various camps, but if that's the case, then I'm not interested in elaborating this point.

What party is expected to win anyway? Is Romania's population satisfied with the current situation in politics, if not, what do they dislike?
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Terry Wrote:Is Romania's population satisfied with the current situation in politics, if not, what do they dislike?
Well Terry, I cannot speak for the whole lot of us (about 23mil) but I'm pretty happy. But I'm a liberal so I tend to be optimistic. I would like to see some better financial and governmental controls and some additional attention to be paid for education. Others see it differently. You can make up your own mind by reading some of the online newspapers in English. Here's how you can get a sampling:http://www2.ziare.ro/

What I like about Romania is that it keeps its neutrality within international relations. It barely interferes any relations, which means they want peace in the world. During the conflict with Georgia, the Romanian president made no action which left him maintain as partners both - Russia and Georgia.

We have long standing relations with both nations. Take a look at these two guys and you'll see what I mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthim_the_Iberian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrie_Cantemir
You can see how tight our history is interwoven with theirs and with the Turks'. Our challenge is to stay friends with all but servants to none. The latter part is where it gets tough.

I heard that Romanian bookmakers are estimating best chances for the position of premier minister - Theodor Stolojan.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elections and voting system elsher0 0 4,346 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Ukraine Presidential Elections 2010 Statsenko 0 8,135 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: