Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I stop thinking about politics and philosophy?
I hate politics and philosophy and I have absolutely no desire to think about these things. I jsut wanna do waht everyone else does but instead I'm constantly distracted by all this crap in my head.
How do I distance myself from all this useless thinking and go on with my life?

Heavy afternoon drinking!

First think what you are thinking is right. And go ahead with your job.

HAVE TIME FRAME FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Instead , ask how to make time frame to think about politics and philosophy.

Anything too much is too bad.

Get a hobby that has nothing to do with either one. Consciously make an effort to avoid the two subjects. Read a book (either fiction or non) with a completely different subject. Go to a movie. Go hiking and don't take a radio. If you must watch television, avoid CSPAN, FOX News, CNN, the History Channel, or any of the other "news & politics" stations, since every other story is about politics.
I refuse to listen or watch anything to do with "presidential" candidates because it's way too early to think, read or hear about that stuff. I switch the channel, or skip the articles in the newspaper and move on.

Try this… contact a hospital and volunteer your services (preferably in a children’s cancer ward). You might think this sounds cruel and insensitive, but don’t be so quick to judge. I did something very similar to this for the last 10 years of my life. I can tell you from personal experience that when you spend just a small amount of time with people who are facing death, your values, priorities, and perspectives come into line very quickly. Politics are important, so is philosophy, but only when weighed in the balance of those things that are truly important like love, goodness, kindness, compassion, and charity. A good friend of mine once told me to “set your mind on things above… and everything else (that you need) will be added unto you.” There is real wisdom in His words. MSLeach

One advice that might work is to KEEP thinking about them. Trying to consciously blot these thoughts out is an exercise on self-frustration. Don't try to suppress these thoughts, and your mind will eventually wander to other things. You could also try sex.