Forums
Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://eu-forums.com)
+-- Forum: EU Forums (https://eu-forums.com/forum-19.html)
+--- Forum: Hot Topics (https://eu-forums.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Georgia and South Ossetia at war (/thread-1703.html)

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Mariam - 08-19-2008

SiD Wrote:
Lor Wrote:
independent Wrote:Lor,

How commonly known it is in Georgia that part of what happens is because You have been
kind of "caught in the crossfire" for geopolitical reasons ?

I don't know how common it is, but Georgians on this forum seem to be aware more or less, about the fact that Russians didn't invade them for South Ossetia conflict, but for their desire to be free and western. I think that this part is pretty common. Some Georgians that were in the affected areas, don't even think at all.. Their only thoughts are how to get their lives back. They don't care who, where, when and why this war started.They just want it to finish!!

Wow that is interesting realy Smile . It is 100% about Saakashvili but he has halucinations as well. You can see it even in your free media.
Lor give me answer please do you support S Osetia and Abkchazia independance? yes or no.

By the way no matter when Georgia sent thier forces to Iraq they supported US agression that is all.

HEY CLOUN. I few times wrote here that from russian I have not seen any neutral post, All of you support your givernment, which is strictly condemned by the whol world. Stop saying any offensive words about other people and about Saalashvili. Look at your double standart prsidentis (PUTIN MEDVEDE). :haha

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Lenus - 08-19-2008

Grid Wrote:to Lenus
Russian exaggeration of number of dead Ossetians can easily happen. But I don't think that it's possible to deny that Giorgia has attacked Tskhinvali with a Grad multiple rocket launcher.

Article from Human Rights Watch organization (August 14) http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2008/08/13/russia19620.htm
Quote:"Human Rights Watch researchers interviewed about 30 individuals, including civilians who had remained in the city during the entire period of the fighting, a few civilians who had just returned to check on the state of their homes, and several members of South Ossetian forces.
The doctor also said that 44 bodies had been brought to the hospital since the fighting began, of both military and civilians
Human Rights Watch documented the damage caused to the hospital building by a rocket believed to have been fired from a Grad multiple rocket launcher which hit the hospital"

Grid

And if that exaggeration can EASILY happen, the invasion of foreign county without having Genocide facts straigth, is PERFECTLY ILLEGAL.

whatever Georgians did, I can assure you, the Ossetians had plenty of time to evacuate civilians, and whats most important, Georgia didn't invade any other country.

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Salomo - 08-19-2008

It seems that the pro-Russians writing here want for some reason to concentrate on the 1600 people who died in Tskhinvali. Terrible amount of killed people indeed.

But why do you forget two other groups of victims:
1) The people in neighbouring villages of Tskhinvali on whom the South Ossetians opened fire? Without these actions, the Georgian army would not have needed to intervene.
2) All the civilians in Gori (and maybe also elsewhere?) killed by Russian bombardments or the Russian invading army or the “irregulars” looting and robbing in the occupied cities

What would you have done in Saakashvili’s place concerning the point nr 1? Maybe used less efficient weapons, I agree, but you have to admit that something needed to be done. And maybe the Russian “peace-keeping troops” there would not have allowed a more “chirurgical” police operation, as this would have needed presence of a lot of Georgian troops? This is the problem: Russian “peace-keeping troops” did not do anything to prevent shooting on the villages nor to help Georgian authorities to do their job.

Yes, the Russian troops destroy much more than it is “necessary” to destroy military bases… And even the fire on Tskhinvali does not give them right to destroy the whole Georgian army!!

But I would also have a question to pro-Georgians:

Would it be so terrible if Abkhazia or South Ossetia became independent? Or, let’s say, Abkhazia became independent and South Ossetia got a real autonomy (until now it seems it had not even that, it only was the northern part of the province of Šida Kartli)? In both concerned regions, there is a minority of Georgians and a majority (over 50 %) or almost a majority of the local ethnicity.

I was pro the independence of Kosovo for the same reason: 80 % ethnic Albanians, let them decide, Serbs sorry, a medieval battle place (Kosovo Polje) is not enough to justify possession. Remember that one alternative would also have been joining Albania – but I think this would have been a bad example and too provocative to Serbia. Same in South Ossetia: I could support Ossetian independence, but I do NOT want them joining Russia – that country is too expansive already.

Independent, my countrymate (whom I do not know personally) mentioned the Ahvenanmaa (Åland) Islands. I would have nothing against their independence either, or possible independence of some Sámi region in Lapland. I would not see that as a threat to the Finnish nation. Those people have lived there for centuries, as long or even longer than the Finns. Some conditions though: the region getting independent must have a relative majority (= more than other groups) of its inhabitants belonging to the “different” ethnicity and an absolute majority (= over 50 %) supporting the independence (controlled by referendum). Needless to say that there also shall not be any “ethnic purifications” by deporting and replacing people before such a referendum…

(According to these questions, Russia should have given independence to Chechenya and maybe to Dagestan, but that would have been enough: all other Autonomous Republics of the Russian Federation had Russians as the biggest group, so for them it would have be better to stay in Russia but to have autonomous status for preserving the diversity of ethnicities. But no need for Russia to worry that it would have lost them all!)

Åland or Sámi have small regions (by number of inhabitants), independence would not be wise for them because of lack of resources to be on their own. But I would never oppose them by armed force, and the whole question also is so irrealistic. Why? Because those minorities are well-treated. The best way for not getting minority ethnicities want to leave the “motherland” is to treat them well. I suggest to the Georgian government to propose them this, that would be the best way to not make them prefer Russian “democracy” Wink

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Lenus - 08-19-2008

Salomo Wrote:But I would also have a question to pro-Georgians:

Would it be so terrible if Abkhazia or South Ossetia became independent? Or, let’s say, Abkhazia became independent and South Ossetia got a real autonomy (until now it seems it had not even that, it only was the northern part of the province of Šida Kartli)? In both concerned regions, there is a minority of Georgians and a majority (over 50 %) or almost a majority of the local ethnicity.

Georgians already presented numerous of Peace-Plans. Abkhazia and South Ossetia can get te widest (!) autonomy as other European Countries give (Catalunya, Basque, Tyrollia).

Yes, it will be terrible if Abkhazia, after mass murdering Georgians, is granted with indepenence, neglecting 350,000 refugees opinion from that region.

Quote:I was pro the independence of Kosovo for the same reason: 80 % ethnic Albanians, let them decide, Serbs sorry, a medieval battle place (Kosovo Polje) is not enough to justify possession. Remember that one alternative would also have been joining Albania – but I think this would have been a bad example and too provocative to Serbia. Same in South Ossetia: I could support Ossetian independence, but I do NOT want them joining Russia – that country is too expansive already.

Serbia deserved that, and was punished for ethnic cleansing performed by Karajich. It was the same act as
giving the land of Israel to Jewish, for pain and humiliation sufferred from Nazis.

Quote:Independent, my countrymate (whom I do not know personally) mentioned the Ahvenanmaa (Åland) Islands. I would have nothing against their independence either, or possible independence of some Sámi region in Lapland. I would not see that as a threat to the Finnish nation. Those people have lived there for centuries, as long or even longer than the Finns. Some conditions though: the region getting independent must have a relative majority (= more than other groups) of its inhabitants belonging to the “different” ethnicity and an absolute majority (= over 50 %) supporting the independence (controlled by referendum). Needless to say that there also shall not be any “ethnic purifications” by deporting and replacing people before such a referendum…

Abkhazians never lived in Abkhazia longer then Georgians. Therefore many Akhazians consider themselves as part of Georgian Nation. It has always been a bi-ethnic land with Georgians "Management". The praying language - Georgian, All ancient scripts on Churches - in GEorgian, All Coin issues beat letters in Georgian.

Abkhaz ethnos however, transformed a lot, they received some tribes from N. Caucasus, Some of them changed Religion because of the Turkish Domination, etc. So, I unerstand their distancing from Georgians, but historical scolars regad Abkhazia as biautochtonic region and never a monoautochtonic.

Moreover, the eastern part of Abkhazia has always een monoautochtonic, predominantly resided by Georgians. The high Princes of Abhkazia always bore two names - local and georgian, as they were a undivided part of the Georgian Royal Structure. (Chachba - Shervashidze, Inal-ipa - Inalishili, etc).

Georgians have as much rights on that area as Abkhazians. And it wasn't us who comitted genocide against civilians, it was them. It would be extremely unfair, if Abkhazians are rewarded for it and Georgians are punished.

Quote:(According to these questions, Russia should have given independence to Chechenya and maybe to Dagestan, but that would have been enough: all other Autonomous Republics of the Russian Federation had Russians as the biggest group, so for them it would have be better to stay in Russia but to have autonomous status for preserving the diversity of ethnicities. But no need for Russia to worry that it would have lost them all!)

Not really. Tatarstan, Bashkirtostan don't have Russians in majorities. They too are desparate to gain independence.

Quote:Åland or Sámi have small regions (by number of inhabitants), independence would not be wise for them because of lack of resources to be on their own. But I would never oppose them by armed force, and the whole question also is so irrealistic. Why? Because those minorities are well-treated. The best way for not getting minority ethnicities want to leave the “motherland” is to treat them well. I suggest to the Georgian government to propose them this, that would be the best way to not make them prefer Russian “democracy” Wink

All armed clashes aside, we never had a proper mediator. Russia always wanted to grab these lands, not to liberate them. And the recent events confirmed that even better.

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - mihalich - 08-19-2008

Many are interested, whether Russia could protect the citizens in territory of other independent state military forces. At me in this occasion other question. And that sheshould do, if the Georgian side some hours bombed Tskhinvali, installations a hailstones. Whether had right Saakashvili armed forces to attack South Ossetia. While Russia would try to negotiate, inhabitants Southern Ossetia would be already dead.
And one simple example. If two persons that them to separate fight that it would be necessary to make. To apply force or to stand and tell him, that it is bad while they will not kill each other.

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Frederic - 08-19-2008

dear Michalich,
If I am not mistaken, civilized countries evacuate their citizens from the territories of foreign countries, if there exists any threat for them. It should be also mentioned that this threat was imposed by the Russian government, who used its own citizens to justify its actions. Could you imagine the situation, when for examle Germany decides to issue German passports to the residents of Kaliningrad(former Keningsberg). I think residents of Kaliningrad would be happy to have EU passports. After this Germany starts provocations in Kaliningrad, permanent small clashes, bombardments, kills russian policemen and when at last Russia has no other option as to try to protect its territory and people, Germany invades Kaliningrad and then heads to Moscow, justifing its actions by the interests of its kaliningrad citizens. The situation is absurd. But this is just what Moscow did in Georgia. It should be also mentioned here, that Germany has more reasons to make this in Kaliningarad, then Russia had in South Ossetia, as South Ossetia has never been the part of Russia.

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - T.T. - 08-19-2008

First when I was reading the posts, I had a feeling "oh wow, here it is quite helpless to say something, because some people need to say few times the same things so that others can finaly understand", but maybe it is not so much helpless... then I got the idea that its not that people really "believe in what they want" but it is rather " they don't even believe in what they are saying themself, but still say"... and of course there are some who try to be logical and are not afraid of changing their position after realizing that their first position was not correct. And now I am thinking "someone from here can become a politician and maybe another governor of one of the countries in the world, so I wonder then what will be the future?" and to that question I have not very optimistic answer... I have some reasons but they are too many to write it down here...

and sorry if it was already written, but I didn't find any idea like that, so someone is asking if people agree on Abkhazians and South Osetians being independent? so, I would like to advise you to ask this question not to Georgians but rather to Russian governmentals. why? Because it is a clear fact that those regions will never be able to be tottaly independent, just think easy - if Georgians give them the independence "they"want(do people really want it? I mean people living there? ok, maybe after brainwash they do now... anyways), will Russians let them live alone, INDEPENDENT? I mean really independent? will they??? maybe one of you will write "of course"? and will believe in what is writting??? interesting!

people, simply wake up! keep your mind open for something new, which might seem not acceptable but which is so clear!

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Lor - 08-19-2008

independent Wrote:
Lor Wrote:Independent i don't think you're pro-Russian!! I just think you're Anti-American!( by Russian and American i mean their politics, not the citizens). It's funny, some people i talked to some months ago,from USaid said that at least 50 years from now, due to America's latest actions, people will blame USA for EVERYTHING that will happen in the world. I guess they were rightSmile

I know this sound funny - but I really like americans. And I'm not anti-american ( I think Bush is :oO )
I could define myself as anti-superpower. Also many Americans are tired to aggressive foreign
policy.

Independent could you please read my post again and again until you see what i meant.
HINT: i used parenthesis to specify American as NOT the people but the politics. Now president is Bush. SO Anti-american= anti bush.... GOT the hint or we will have to go over it later?
It's known to the whole planet that US citizens are AGAINST Iraq war and Bush. I was in NY when Bush visited for his electoral campaign. Not a fun picture. Thousands of citizens got on the streets to protest and stopped his convoy to go through! It was crazy!I think Bush was a little scared SmileThat's when i felt the real democratic spirit! I wish i could see the same spirit in Russia!

Salomo i truly understand the way you think!! Pro-Russians bring the 1600 people genocide( number which so faaar from reality) as their main argument, over and over again. They wouldn't listen to the fact that BEFORE this "genocide" LOTS of Georgians were killed. I will post again what you wrote maybe some of them will bother to read.

It seems that the pro-Russians writing here want for some reason to concentrate on the 1600 people who died in Tskhinvali. Terrible amount of killed people indeed.

But why do you forget two other groups of victims:
1) The people in neighbouring villages of Tskhinvali on whom the South Ossetians opened fire? Without these actions, the Georgian army would not have needed to intervene.
2) All the civilians in Gori (and maybe also elsewhere?) killed by Russian bombardments or the Russian invading army or the “irregulars” looting and robbing in the occupied cities

What would you have done in Saakashvili’s place concerning the point nr 1? Maybe used less efficient weapons, I agree, but you have to admit that something needed to be done. And maybe the Russian “peace-keeping troops” there would not have allowed a more “chirurgical” police operation, as this would have needed presence of a lot of Georgian troops? This is the problem: Russian “peace-keeping troops” did not do anything to prevent shooting on the villages nor to help Georgian authorities to do their job.

Yes, the Russian troops destroy much more than it is “necessary” to destroy military bases… And even the fire on Tskhinvali does not give them right to destroy the whole Georgian army!!

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - independent - 08-19-2008

Lor Wrote:Independent could you please read my post again and again until you see what i meant.

I understood Your comment. It was clear enough - and wasn't indeed arguing. Rather I was pointing that
these days being Anti-American can mean the same as being Pro-American. Depending how You
take it...

Lor Wrote:I wish i could see the same spirit in Russia!

Agree - I hope that the same spirit becomes a "standard" all over the world.
Btw. including Georgia as well...

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - chena - 08-19-2008

I guess a lot of people here are speaking Russian since the most of us are either Russians or Georgians. I recommend Russian participant to read this article just to consider different approach to the case.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://glavnoe.kharkov.ua/articles/a1110">http://glavnoe.kharkov.ua/articles/a1110</a><!-- m -->

Агрессия России против Грузии

Часть 1. Саакашвили – псих или безусловный победитель?

Никогда так не лгут, как на войне. Сейчас вокруг войны на Кавказе уровень лжи просто «зашкаливает». Информация подчас настолько противоречива, что трудно выдвинуть какую-то единую версию. Признаю, что версий происходящего вокруг Грузии может быть как минимум две.

1. Версия первая - Саакашвили – псих?

Краткое содержание первой версии. Президент Грузии Саакашвили – полный выродок и «отморозок», у него случилось помутнение рассудка, возможно, он нализался ЛСД или обкурился анаши. И соответственно втянул свой народ в самоубийственное противостояние с Россией, рассчитывая победить ее военным путем.

Вариант: Саакашвили вообще не предполагал, что в случае захвата грузинскими войсками Южной Осетии Россия посмеет открыто вмешаться. Что в свете всех предыдущих заявлений высшего руководства России и реальных действий здесь России на протяжении почти 20 последних лет тоже свидетельствует о полной психической неадекватности президента Грузии.

Эта первая версия очень популярна в российских СМИ. Но при этом там не учитывают всей глубины глупости грузинского руководства. Вообще-то, как ни странно, военная победа Грузии в Южной Осетии теоретически была возможна. Это ведь в основном – лесистые горы, та самая «зеленка», которую с таким ужасом вспоминают наши ветераны Афганистана. Причем единственная линия коммуникации Южной Осетии с Россией проходит через Главный Кавказский хребет – конкретно это единственная автодорога сквозь трехкилометровый Рокский туннель.

Выведите из строя Рокский туннель – и России станет исключительно тяжело перебрасывать туда подкрепления. Только десантные части по воздуху. Но если сосредоточить в этом регионе мощные силы ПВО, то потери десантников будут огромными. Могла ли Грузия вывести из строя Рокский туннель? – Конечно! Сейчас у записных туристов стала модной такая штука (приемник GPS), которая по сигналам от американской системы спутников в состоянии определить координаты с точностью до метра. Еще во время войны в Кувейте в 1990 году американцы использовали подобные высокоточные системы наведения на своих крылатых ракетах. Если пульнуть в створ Рокского туннеля штук двадцать крылатых ракет с вакуумными зарядами (особенно эффективными именно против построек с ограниченным замкнутым объемом) или же с простыми бетонобойными зарядами, то хотя бы одна в цель попала бы и вряд ли бы Рокский туннель уцелел бы. Как минимум его можно было бы вывести из строя хотя бы дней на пять (афганцам на перевале Саланг это несколько раз удавалось). И этого хватило бы, чтобы грузинские войска прорвались к нему по суше.

Но среди грузинских военных руководителей не нашлось никого, кто бы объяснил своему Президенту этот простой факт: не выведя из строя Рокский туннель, бессмысленно наступать на Цхинвали. Может, они все вместе анашу курили? И, кстати, настолько мощных средств ПВО, которые могли бы хотя бы несколько дней продержаться против военной авиации России, в Грузии также не было. Но значит ли это, что Грузией правит банда наркоманов?

Что собой представляет грузинская армия? – Это не столь уж ничтожная сила. Примерно 30 тыс. солдат регулярной армии плюс 100 полностью обученных, вооруженных и прикомандированных к своим частям резервистов (которых Михаил Саакашвили успешно всех мобилизовал). 130 танков. Плюс силы пограничников и военизированная полиция. Плюс намного более гористая и лесистая местность, чем та же Чечня. Вспомним, сколько солдатских жизней Россия положила при штурме Грозного. Вспомним, как отчаянно и упорно грузинские войска сопротивлялись отборным десантным дивизиям России в том же Цхинвали. Вспомним, как долго обороняла Западный Бейрут против всей израильской армии ОДНА ТЫСЯЧА палестинских боевиков.

Была ли грузинская армия, ее все 130000 (СТО ТРИДЦАТЬ ТЫСЯЧ) солдат и 130 танков уничтожена за три дня активных боев, с 8 по 10 августа включительно? – Ничего подобного. Куда вообще может деться регулярная армия? – Во-первых, ее могут физически уничтожить. Но во всей этой войне потери грузин считались на несколько десятков, максимум сотен убитых. И раненых грузинских солдат точно не было больше нескольких тысяч. Во-вторых, солдат могут взять в плен. Но тут счет точно идет на десятки. В-третьих, солдаты могут дезертировать. Но полная национальная консолидация Грузии вокруг правительства Саакашвили исключает вариант массового дезертирства. В-четвертых, армию может официально распустить само правительство. Ничего подобного тоже не было и нет.

Но 11 августа ПО ПРИКАЗУ Президента Саакашвили вооруженные силы Грузии в одностороннем порядке прекратили сопротивление российской армии. Была организована массовая эвакуация населения из Зугдиди, Поти и ряда других городов. И все эти территории покинули все регулярные вооруженные формирования Грузии. Сосредоточились в основном в Тбилиси. Если исходить из первой версии, то все тоже логично: сначала бесноватый псих Саакашвили безмотивно и бездарно напал на Россию, а затем он вместе со всем правительством и всей грузинской армией обос...лся от ужаса и бежал перед доблестными миротворцами. Без боя. Наверное, анаша закончилась.

Еще одно свидетельство полной невменяемости Саакашвили – полная спонтанность его действий. Т. е. он предпринял их без каких-либо консультаций с США и НАТО, холуем и марионеткой которых он является. И без каких-либо консультаций со своим кумом Ющенко. Ведь не далее как 1 июля 2008 года в Батуми состоялся саммит ГУАМ, который по отзывам кремлевской прессы «носил откровенно антироссийский характер» и на котором «украинский президент уделил особое внимание урегулированию «замороженных» конфликтов на территории стран-членов ГУАМ, то есть, поставил на одну линию Приднестровье, Абхазию, Южную Осетию и Нагорный Карабах». И Саакашвили ни словом ни вздохом не намекнул куму и ближайшему союзнику, что он тут собрался напасть на российских миротворцев и тем самым разморозить замороженный конфликт. И американскому послу не намекнул. И вездесущее ЦРУ понятия не имело, что творится в дружественной Грузии. Вот ведь придурок Саакашвили...

2. Версия вторая - Саакашвили – безусловный победитель

Кому нравится, тот пускай верит в данную версию. Только к версии о фантастической глупости и невменяемости Саакашвили тогда следует добавить и версию о его необычайном фантастическом везении («дуракам и пьяницам везет»?). Ведь Саакашвили не только напал на Россию. Михаил Саакашвили полностью РАЗГРОМИЛ Россию. И то, что российские войска захватили город Гори в 60 км от Тбилиси, и то, что Грузию бомбят – не важно. Можно вспомнить пример из истории самой России: Наполеон в 1812 году захватил Москву, но это и стало причиной его полного разгрома. Тогда российская армия ПО ПРИКАЗУ оставила Москву без боя. Но царское правительство не было деморализовано, а армия не была разгромлена. В Грузии Россия УЖЕ потерпела самое сокрушительное и позорное поражение за всю свою постсоветскую историю.

Что такое война? – Это «продолжение внешней политики иными средствами». У войны с внешним врагом всегда есть внешнеполитические цели. На сегодня внешнеполитические цели Грузии полностью достигнуты.

Давайте зададим себе простой вопрос: если бы не было этой войны, были ли хоть какие-то перспективы возвращения Южной Осетии и Абхазии в состав Грузии? – На этот вопрос нужно дать однозначно отрицательный ответ. Абхазия и Южная Осетия оккупированы российской армией, для которых выданный СНГ мандат «миротворцев» всегда был не более чем фиговым листком. Практически все население Южной Осетии получило российские паспорта. Признание частью стран Запада независимости Косова стало очевидным прецедентом и для этих территорий. В начале этого года Путин открыто провозгласил полную экономическую интеграцию этих территорий в Россию. Шансы на то, что Запад реально вмешается в этот конфликт в Грузии, были тоже нулевыми. В ответ на «провокационные обстрелы Грузией осетинских деревень» Россия и так могла в любой момент ввести сюда дополнительные «миротворческие» войска и явно собиралась это сделать, как это уже было сделано в Абхазии.

Причем избрание в Грузии как угодно лояльного к России президента никак не помогло бы восстановлению ее территориальной целостности. Пример Молдовы, где был избран идеально пророссийский президент-коммунист Воронин, это наглядно показал: ЛЮБЫЕ его уступки России не привели к реинтеграции Приднестровья.

Теперь из сомнительного «миротворца» Россия открыто превратилась в одну из сторон конфликта. Причем в сторону агрессивную. Сколько бы ни визжали российские СМИ об «агрессии Грузии против Южной Осетии», это можно было с куда большим основанием назвать «операцией по восстановлению конституционного порядка». То есть ровно тем, чем Китай занимается в Тибете, Турция – в Курдистане, а сама Россия – в Чечне. Вообще фантастическая тупорылость и зомбированность ОСНОВНОЙ массы русской нации наиболее наглядно проявилась именно в том, что те даже не поставили вопроса о полной тождественности действий России в Чечне и Грузии в Южной Осетии. Я здесь не говорю о морали и о праве населения на самоопределение (у русских вообще меньше, чем у кого бы то ни было права говорить об этих вещах – они давно сами воюют за «территориальную целостность России» по всему Северному Кавказу). Но теперь ведь вопрос стоит совсем не так. Объявленная Медведевым «военная операция по принуждению к миру» (почти по «принуждению к сожительству» - и кто только этому клоуну тексты готовит?) с точки зрения международного права может быть квалифицирована ТОЛЬКО как военная агрессия против суверенного члена ООН с целью захвата части его территории. То, что Россия открыто объявила о том, что все жители Южной Осетии – граждане Российской Федерации, и она их защищает, есть открытое признание стремления России к аннексии части территории суверенного члена ООН.

Напомню: Организация Объединенных Наций была создана именно с одной главной целью: гарантировать каждому своему члену его независимость и территориальную целостность. Именно это записано в Уставе ООН. Единственная и опаснейшая попытка нарушения этого принципа – признание независимости Косова, которую, кстати, подавляющее большинство членов ООН (включая Украину) так и не признало. И вот теперь впервые со времени Второй Мировой войны Россия попала в ПОЛНУЮ МЕЖДУНАРОДНУЮ ИЗОЛЯЦИЮ.

В ООН входят 192 государства. Среди них только одна страна поддержала агрессию России против Грузии: международный изгой Куба (где в этом году гражданам впервые разрешили покупать холодильники и телевизоры). Ни одна страна СНГ не только не поддержала Россию, но даже не высказала какого-либо осуждения Грузии (по типу «все виноваты») и даже не предложила России гуманитарной помощи. Исключение составляет только наш талантливый мэр Добкин, пригласивший в Харьков «детей из Южной Осетии». Скажем, президент Белоруссии Лукашенко не сделал даже этого. Он вообще никак не поддержал Россию. А на официальный российский запрос «Почему молчишь?» ответил заявлением, что Беларусь выступает за дружбу со всеми странами мира, но сейчас особенно заинтересована в улучшении отношений с Евросоюзом и США. И ни слова в поддержку России. От ее самого ближайшего союзника. Правда, на стороне России остается Геннадий Кернес с верным Добкиным...

У Грузии друзей оказалось гораздо больше. Во-первых, это общественное мнение всего мира, и в первую очередь стран Запада. Во время Олимпиады известия о российско-грузинском конфликте потеснили даже спортивные комментарии с Олимпиады. Больше никто не воспринимает эти события как «грузинско-осетинский межнациональный конфликт», каких полно в мире. Всем стало очевидно, что речь идет о прямой агрессии России против соседнего независимого государства с целью захвата территории этого государства и свержения его законного правительства.

Во-вторых, это США. Президент Буш призвал Россию вывести все войска «с грузинской земли». Т. е. и с территории Абхазии и Южной Осетии. Спикер палаты представителей Конгресса (третье лицо в государстве) Нэнси Пелоси совместно с лидерами демократов и республиканцев «самым жестким образом» осудила вторжение России в суверенное государство и подчеркнула, что «США привержены абсолютному суверенитету Грузии». Но самое важное заявление сделал в Тбилиси чиновник рангом пониже: заместитель помощника госсекретаря США Мэтью Брайза. Дословно оно звучало так: «Своими последними действиями Россия потеряла миротворческую роль по урегулированию конфликтов... Россия должна быть готовой к тому, что в зону южноосетинского конфликта могут быть введены смешанные международные миротворческие силы». Это уже не говоря об обещании массированной американской экономической помощи Грузии в ликвидации последствий российской агрессии.

Во-третьих, это страны Евросоюза. Пожалуй, впервые они демонстрируют такое единство. Председательствующий теперь в Евросоюзе Президент Франции Николя Саркози занял в отношении России формально менее жесткую позицию, чем Джордж Буш. Он выступил посредником. Но если присмотреться к тем требованиям, которые он навязал Медведеву, то они мало отличаются от американских. По сути, единственное отличие в том, что европейцы в принципе допускают дальнейшее пребывание на территории Абхазии и Южной Осетии российских войск, но вовсе не как единственных миротворцев. Дословно у Саркози это звучит так: «В дальнейшем будет определен статус нахождения в конфликтных регионах Абхазии и Южной Осетии российских войск. Будет ли им предоставлен международный статус - мы договоримся позже». При этом Евросоюз уже выразил готовность направить своих миротворцев в эти регионы.

А теперь главный вопрос: так кто же достиг своих целей в этой войне? Россия или Грузия? Как видим, Грузия организовала такое «размораживание» юго-осетинского и абхазского конфликтов, которое в наибольшей возможной форме соответствует ее национальным интересам. На ее стороне выступил фактически весь мир.
А чего достигла Россия? – Исключения себя из «большой восьмерки». На этом и раньше настаивали оба кандидата в президенты США. Но теперь УЖЕ при Буше обращение к России немедленно прекратить вторжение в Грузию подписано в формате «большой семерки». Т. е. к нему помимо США и Евросоюза присоединились также Япония и Канада. Россию больше не признают великой державой. Кроме того, кандидат в президенты США Барак Обама заявил, что возможность членства России в ВТО должна быть жестко увязана с ее политикой в отношении Южной Осетии. А ведь этого кандидата считали более пророссийским! А еще России пригрозил экономическими санкциями миролюбивый Евросоюз. А еще отменены совместные учения России с НАТО (Да-да, Россия их регулярно проводила, и никто там против них не протестовал!). Теперь дальнейшее сотрудничество с НАТО стало для России вообще проблематично. Ну, еще Россия достигла полного развала СНГ.

Так кто же победил?

3. А если команда Саакашвили все точно просчитала?

Итак, мы убедились, что эта маленькая российско-грузинская война закончилась блестящей победой Грузии. Конфликт в Абхазии и Южной Осетии интернационализирован, Россия отныне не может выступать в роли миротворца, Грузия получила от США и Евросоюза прямые гарантии своей территориальной целостности. Поэтому более убедительно выглядит версия о том, что правящая в Грузии команда Саакашвили вовсе не является бандой идиотов, да и сам Михаил Саакашвили – вовсе не псих, а смелый и талантливый политик, каковым он и показал себя на протяжении всей своей политической карьеры. Переходим к анализу этой второй версии.

Не так давно Саакашвили был переизбран президентом Грузии. Одним из важнейших его предвыборных обещаний стало воссоединение Абхазии и Южной Осетии, т. е. восстановление территориальной целостности Грузии в ее международно признанных границах. Еще в начале своего первого президентства после «Революции роз» Саакашвили успешно воссоединил с Грузией другую ее бывшую автономию, Аджарию. Для Грузии воссоединение Абхазии и Южной Осетии вовсе не абстрактная проблема: там по-прежнему живет свыше 300 тысяч беженцев из этих регионов, которые сосредоточены в основном в Тбилиси. В целом это самая обездоленная часть населения Грузии. Может ли демократически избранный Президент игнорировать их надежду на возвращение в родные дома? Значит, Михаил Саакашвили был должен УБЕДИТЕЛЬНО доказать всему грузинскому народу, что он сделал все возможное и невозможное для возвращения Абхазии и Южной Осетии.

Но возвратить Абхазию и Южную Осетию означает прежде всего вырвать их из-под полного военного и политического контроля России. Разумеется, до начала этой войны страны Запада пытались как-то повлиять на ситуацию дипломатическими методами. Но из этого ничего не вышло (да и не могло выйти: Путин и К уважают только силу). В итоге для Саакашвили ситуация сложилась таким образом: либо разгром на следующих выборах именно под лозунгом того, что он ничего не сделал для воссоединения Абхазии и Южной Осетии, либо военный конфликт с Россией. Но если бы этот конфликт перерос в разрушительную войну, то избиратели тоже могли бы не простить Саакашвили того, что он снова вогнал их страну в разруху и нищету, из которых Грузия только-только начала выбираться. Разрушение Грузии могло произойти прежде всего вследствие ее массированных бомбардировок и ракетных обстрелов со стороны России, причем так быстро, что Запад мог бы и не успеть вмешаться.

Итак, перед Саакашвили стояла «простенькая» задача: в одиночку так подраться с Россией, чтобы с одной стороны продемонстрировать своему народу полную решимость покончить с сепаратистами, а с другой стороны при этом не разрушить Грузию.

С точки зрения собственной важности и числа грузинских беженцев Абхазия несравнимо более предпочтительная цель, чем Южная Осетия. Но Абхазия протянулась вдоль Черного моря, и потому российская армия всегда может организовать там десанты в тылу грузинской армии (как это уже и делалось во время прошлой войны в начале 90-х). Значит, остается Южная Осетия. Здесь с военной точки зрения победа была возможна. Причем для того, чтобы продемонстрировать гражданам (т. е. избирателям) успех, нужно было непременно захватить ее столицу Цхинвали. Чтобы можно было сказать: Цхинвали снова грузинский! С политической точки зрения это было гораздо важнее, чем захват Рокского тоннеля. Захват Цхинвали однозначно являлся первоочередной целью. И, как известно, грузинам это удалось.

Но это только русские могут радостно орать: «А нам нужна одна победа, одна на всех, мы за ценой не постоим!». Нормальные люди привыкли задумываться о цене победы. Саакашвили и его команде демократов вовсе не нужна была победа ценой полного разрушения Грузии. Значит, они могли планировать свои действия исходя прежде всего из двух вариантов действий России: Россия либо начнет наносить ракетно-бомбовые удары по территории собственно Грузии (за пределами Абхазии и Южной Осетии), либо воздержится от таких ударов, предвидя крайне негативную реакцию на них со стороны всего мирового сообщества и в первую очередь США и стран Запада. С учетом этого фактора грузинское руководство очевидно планировало три основных варианта развития событий:

1) Самый благоприятный вариант: реакция России будет вялой и грузинские войска успеют освободить всю территорию Южной Осетии и выйти к Рокскому туннелю. Для этого и приурочили начало операции к открытию Олимпиады, когда Путин и Медведев были далеко. Тогда имело бы смысл обороняться по линии государственной границы Грузии, а для нейтрализации российских воплей о «геноциде осетин» срочно пригласить в этот регион международных наблюдателей, журналистов и правозащитников. Думаю, местные жители многое рассказали им и о местном «южноосетинском» режиме (насколько этот режим вообще осетинский – еще поговорим). При таком раскладе избиратели простили бы Саакашвили все разрушения в Грузии, а запоздалая реакция России еще в большей степени выглядела бы как прямая агрессия.

2) Второй вариант, который со стороны России, и не вообще России, а именно режима Медве/Путина был бы наиболее разумным и адекватным, состоял в том, что Россия быстро наносит ответный удар и восстанавливает статус-кво. Но границ собственно Южной Осетии не переходит и Грузию не бомбит. При этом Россия увеличивает свое военное присутствие в Южной Осетии до любых удобных ей пределов и жалостливо голосит о грузинском геноциде осетин, который она предотвратила. При этом внутренний и внешнеполитический престиж режима Медве/Путина только вырос бы. Запад скорее всего не вмешивается. Но при условии, что грузины все-таки успели бы войти в Цхинвали (а не успеть они не могли: для этого Саакашвили и готовил свою армию) этот вариант был бы для Саакашвили тоже выигрышным. Он продемонстрировал бы всему грузинскому народу, что сделал для возвращения захваченных сепаратистами земель все, что мог. Он имел бы прямые основания для того, чтобы объявить российскую армию одной из сторон конфликта, неспособной далее выполнять миротворческую функцию. Он точно так же официально вывел бы Грузию из СНГ и тем самым лишил пребывание российских войск на территории Грузии легитимности: ведь находятся они там именно по мандату СНГ. И НАТО скорее всего тоже не отвергло бы перспективу членства Грузии, хотя эта перспектива и могла бы стать более далекой.

3) Вариант, который осуществился на практике и был с самого начала наиболее вероятным (зная, с каким режимом в России мы имеем дело). Россия воспринимает действия Грузии как отличный повод для захвата всей территории этой страны и свержения режима Саакашвили. Но тут есть одно большое НО. Саакашвили показал себя последовательным демократом и верным союзником США. И он понимал то, чего никак не может понять и во что никак не может поверить всяческая российская и пророссийская мразь: АМЕРИКА НЕ БРОСАЕТ В БЕДЕ СВОИХ СОЮЗНИКОВ. Но для того, чтобы принять необходимые решения и начать оказывать практическую помощь, прежде всего помощь дипломатическую, Америке потребуется некоторое время. Важнейшая задача: за это время не допустить разрушения Грузии и разгрома грузинской армии. Чего еще не может понять российская мразь: демократические политики заботятся прежде всего о безопасности своих граждан, для них они – не «пушечное мясо». Поэтому когда стало очевидно, что ответ России происходит по третьему сценарию, Саакашвили немедленно объявил о прекращении боевых действий, вывел свои войска из боевого соприкосновения с русскими и произвел эвакуацию населения из наиболее угрожаемых районов. Тем самым он лишил Россию каких-либо оснований для массированных бомбардировок Грузии. И стал ждать реакции мирового сообщества, которая последовала незамедлительно. К пропагандистской и дипломатической войне Грузия подготовилась замечательно. И победила.

Напомню: главной целью Грузии было такое «размораживание» ситуации вокруг Южной Осетии и Абхазии, которое гарантировало бы международную поддержку территориальной целостности Грузии. Россия показала себя всему миру наглым агрессором, стремящимся захватить часть территории соседнего суверенного государства. И по этому вопросу Россия попала в ПОЛНУЮ международную изоляцию. Именно это – главный итог войны. Теперь у Грузии появились РЕАЛЬНЫЕ перспективы ввода в сепаратистские регионы международных миротворческих сил и их последующего воссоединения с Грузией. Другие мотивы, определившие поведение руководства России: взятие под контроль альтернативных трубопроводов в Европу (Баку-Джейхан), свержение демократического режима Саакашвили, восстановление полной гегемонии России на всем постсоветском пространстве. Они очень важны для Медве/Путина и тех, кто его поддерживает, но не столь важны для других стран мира. Грубейшая ошибка российской правящей хунты состоит в непонимании того, что в современном мире прямое нападение на соседнюю страну с целью захвата части ее территории не простили бы вообще никому.

Здесь есть еще один важный фактор: прямое военное присутствие США в Грузии. Уже сейчас, 14 августа американские войска высадились в Грузии. Пока это только самолеты ВВС США, доставившие гуманитарную помощь. Скоро придут и корабли. Но эти американские гуманитарные военные уже четко потребовали свободного доступа до любых районов Грузии, куда они будут доставлять гуманитарную помощь самостоятельно. Если российские военные будут топтаться по Грузии дальше, то их конфликт с американской армией неизбежен. И совершенно непонятно, почему русские думают, что американцы не посмеют вступить с ними в такой военный конфликт. У них и противоракетная оборона развернута, так что и ядерного шантажа России они не очень боятся.

Вообще полная неадекватность реакции руководства России на все предупреждения о серьезных последствиях ее агрессии против Грузии очень похожа на позицию пропитого отмороженного сявки. Такой сявка не понимает, что плохое к нему отношение может проявиться в том, что порядочные люди просто перестанут с ним здороваться. О таком плохом отношении сейчас Россию активно предупреждают США, Великобритания, Германия, Украина, Турция и прочие цивилизованные страны. Но сявке эти тонкие буржуйские материи непонятны. Пьяный сявка понимает предупреждения, только когда ему дадут в морду.

На месте американцев я в качестве предметного урока России, (на который та ну очень напрашивается) попросту потопил бы те корабли Черноморского флота, что ошиваются теперь у берегов независимой Грузии. И таким образом проблема базирования Черноморского флота России была бы окончательно решена. За неимением самого флота. Если Россия и дальше будет «борзеть», то она вполне может доиграться. И тогда победа Саакашвили (и Ющенко) станет полной и окончательной.

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Felice-Rosso - 08-19-2008

Georgia has started this war. Firstly It was a genocide of Ossetian people and then Russia attacked georgian military installations!!!! That's why Ossetian people still exist.
You should see it: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=lptVAbw5oos">http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=lptVAbw5oos</a><!-- m -->
Here is an article by Russian journalist Vladimdr Soloviev.
Nazis and their patrons
PUBLISHED 11-08-2008 18:51:

I wake up each morning in the hope that this nightmare is over. However, the war just continues and gathers steam. Now the first conclusions can at last be made. Firstly, Georgia has been preparing for this situation for a long time and these preparations have not been made by Georgia alone. It is clear that it was supported by the most reactionary circles of today’s governing elite in American. This is because as a result of this military aggression it is the Republicans who win, represented by candidate McKein, who managed to not only catch up with Obama but to be in advance of him. Thus, thanks to the heating up of the international situation by Georgia, the hawks are winning. That is why American as an acting power has invested so much money in Georgia.

I should mention that the salaries of Georgian ministers are paid from foreign funds, that 127 American instructors function in Georgia and that 800 Georgian soldiers are being relocated now from Iraq by American Air Forces together with their necessary military equipment and other military cargo. Involved in this there is not the slightest doubt as to the role of Condoliza Rise. She was a constant supporter of Saakashvili’s political ambitions, she visited Tbilisi shortly before the invasion of North Ossetia and she was the first renowned politician to condemn Russia unambiguously. Additionally, the rest of the American political establishment is not so radical as Condoliza and the followers of the "hawk" policy. It is clear why America needs this – they have to solve their modest political questions.

Still, does it mean that the Americans will go to the end in this war, 100 % on the side of Georgia and will start a war with Russia? Hardly. As the Cubans have already shown their support for Russia and it is clear that in a short period of time many Latin American countries may also show their support too. The attitude of Europe is split: France, Italy, Germany and even the UK now have started to say that the role of Saakashvili is not as unambiguous at all and that there was genocide against the Ossetian people. It must be taken into consideration that the situation in Iran is very important to the Americans, and that the Americans will not be able to solve the Iranian problem without the unambiguous position of Russia. So, most likely, it’s not only a possibility of a political victory at the elections for them, but if you wish, an attempt to force Russia to reconsider its position with regard to the Iranian problem. For those who could find my considerations a bit far-fetched, I would like to remind them of the story of the Falkland conflict when the rise in itself of this conflict helped the English conservatives keep power, so a small victorious war is not a discovery, though it does not always work in favor of the powers that be and their chiefs. For instance, Bush Senior was not able to gain re-election after the war in Iraq.

So what did the American instructors teach the Georgian army? Today I have spoken to a friend of mine, who is there (he is from the Special Forces and has seen a lot). He wonders what has happened to the Georgians, as they did not take prisoners: in Ossetia they finished off the elderly people, as well as women and children with control shots. When the Georgian army destroys two thousand people, taking into account that that the total population of South Ossetia is 60 thousand people, you can evidently agree with the words of Dmitry Rogozin, stating that Saakashvili is interested in Georgian land only, and not in the population of autonomous republics. The task of Saakashvili is to free the Georgian land from everyone who is not an ethnic Georgian. It becomes clear what would be the destiny of the people of Abkhazia should the Russians not interfere there. In two-three weeks the existence of the Ossetian population on the territory of the South Ossetia could have been forgotten already. For during the short time of the presence of the Georgian army in Ossetia 5 villages, and the city of Tskhinval were destroyed, and two thousand civilians were killed. The American instructors acted as the chiefs of the Zonder troops. If it was exactly what the Georgian army was taught, so even the SS-men could envy their proficiency. I would like to point out the remarkable resemblance of Saakashvili to Hitler in his phlegmatic rhetoric and impassioned efforts to manipulate the general public opinion.

One single and important thing to be taken into consideration is the role of the Americans in guiding Georgian artillery, aviation and other military facilities to Russian targets. Obviously, the Americans use their navigation and radiolocation space facilities to provide the Georgian side with this information. Still, it could hardly help the Georgians now, though, undoubtedly the Georgian army became a battle worthy one, but certainly, no intelligence is needed to fight against the elderly and children. The Russian Army fights in a different way, the Russian Army fights in "white gloves" , not allowing itself to target innocent civilians in its attacks. That is why no western mass-media, nor Saakashvili, are able to claim for civil victims: what we were able to do in Ossetia, sorrowfully is to only show the results of the genocide in Georgia. The Russian army finely processes with its military targets. Unfortunately bombs can miss their targets, but there is no question of using Multiple rocket launchers on living quarters. We can see that the Russian army bombed the take-off runways that were used for planes going to bomb in South Ossetia, we destroyed radiolocation installations, batteries and other military facilities, and that is true. This is how all modern armies fight now, including the Americans and Israelis as well: minimal losses, and pinpoint attacks. I repeat - no living quarters have been affected. Look at how brilliantly our fleet performed: we were attacked by 4 rocket boats, used defensive fire, sank one vessel and the rest went away. What more could be wished for? Finally, our army fights and shows dignity, and our soldiers became the soldier – a liberator defending a brotherhood Christian and not only Christians but even Muslim people.

Still, what is most surprising: the war in the Caucasus (and there are so many representatives of different nationalities and religions living there) is going on between only orthodox people, between the Georgians and the Ossetians (the Armenians are Christian but they are not orthodox). Despite this, Saakashvili did not think of it for a single moment. The flag of Georgia is behind him, the flag of the European Union is behind him. Yet look, there is no priest, no icon and even not a single appeal to the notions that are sacred to Christians. Sure, Sakashvili is a typical representative of the generation that has lost its native land, and has found nothing in exchange. Not dumb, but absolutely pragmatic, the are Ivans that have forgotten their relatives, who have betrayed all that made the glory and magnificence of the Georgian people. No use in arguing with Vladimir Putin, who stated very sharply that it is impossible to imagine now how the Abkhaz, Ossetian and Georgian people will live in a united family of brotherhood. For generations the slaughter will remain in the memory of the Ossetians. Such things could not be forgotten or excused. Look at the relations between the Armenian and Turkish people, and more than 100 years have passed since that genocide took place. So what is surprising now, when just a few weeks have passed, and the emotional heat is so huge? Obviously, Georgia has been split for years, and the destiny of this military conflict and its end are not important. Conclusively, the co-existence of Abkhaz, Georgians and Ossetians is now impossible for centuries.

I am worried by the intake of countries into a third world war. In fact everything starts with seemingly insignificant local conflicts. For whom may they seem insignificant? For those who watch television – yes, but for those who wake up under bombing runs – certainly not. If this confrontation will grow to be a third world war, its consequences will be horrifying for the whole planet. I would like to remind the "hot-heads" that Russia possesses nuclear weapons and heaven forbid the using of them by one of the countries for any reason. Further reactions will then be hard to stop. The Earth will cease in its existence, and everybody has to know this. In particular, such "wise men" as Saakashvili have to, those who thought that the blitzkrieg will help to solve all their problems. Still, please note no blitzkrieg can ever win over the people, not any. One would think that for 10 years the Americans have taught the Georgian Army, and invested tons of money ($1 billon - only in the last year), but the whole power of the Georgian army could not defeat Ossetia in 10 hours, which is incomparably poor in military forces. It is impossible to defeat the people fighting for their land. To destroy – yes, but to defeat – never.

The last remark, in regard to the reason why Russia could not respond at once within several hours. The international community has always treated Russia by more than triple standards. We had to accomplish all formalities: an application to the Security Council and the carrying out of necessary internal measures, and only upon this there could be made a precise reasonable response. So there cannot be any claims against President Medvdev or the Russian military forces. They performed sharply and with dignity. If we would not react to the situation, if the "neighbors" would understand that they could behave in such a manner, so in this case, I think, the existence of Russia in itself soon could have been brought to doubt. The exterior "parts" would have been torn from us.

I would like to note that we never said that Abkhazia or South Ossetia do not form part of Georgia. We never said that. But we have always said that the example given by Americans to the whole world by acknowledging the independence of Kosovo will echo with a lot of blood in the Caucasus. And I was the one of those saying so. With the deep regret I state that I was right. We all pay now for the double standards of the world politicians and for the foolishness, I could even say, a meanness of today’s political administration in America. For the weakness and a dumb anti-Russian attitude of new European countries, the so-called "new democrats" for whom white is black and black is white.

Then to hear what our Ukrainian brothers are saying was particularly offending. Could it be true that they lost their mind like Bush who in spite of the previous history of the American behavior, has stated that none of the countries is allowed to bomb the territory of any other country. Hearing it to the lips of an American president is particularly cynical. Just like the control shots to the heads of an Ossetian woman, which were supervised by an American instructor.

Once more thing I would like to attract your attention to is the blog of my friend Shota Gorgadze (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.mail.ru/mail/grant-pravo/">http://blogs.mail.ru/mail/grant-pravo/</a><!-- m -->). You cannot imagine what meanness he gets from the people who, in spite of living in Russia, have a point of duty to shit on this country, And they bear a passport of a Russian citizen in their pockets. Shame on them! Decide: if you feel that you are on Saakashvili’s side it is better to return your passport and go to some other native land. And if you understand that the people are not guilty for the meanness of their governors, then behave yourself, with the dignity of true Russian citizens.

Vladimir SOLOVIEV

independent Wrote:
Lor Wrote:I wish i could see the same spirit in Russia!

Agree - I hope that the same spirit becomes a "standard" all over the world.
Btw. including Georgia as well...

It's funny you say that cuz i was thinking about the same thing. This spirit should be around the world.

In Russia is definitely missing. I don't want to repeat myself regarding the "democratic president" Putin. I have lots of interesting posts about him. Recent polls show that 42% of Russians are against Putin's actions(thank God), but they don't and will not express openly their feelings.

In Georgia might be missing or not. I have mixed opinion about Sakashvali. While Russians call him a fascist and a tyrant, people in Georgia seem to love him a lot. I didn't see one Georgian talking bad about him, on the contrary. I've watched and read many interviews of Georgian people. They all give credit to their president for bringing Georgia's economy and infrastructure higher than ever before.("In the last couple of years, life here was getting so much better. Now it's going to go backward.",Mazia Jwania, a 50-years old).

SO, all i care is welfare of people. If Georgians prospered because of their president that wants them to be western oriented( and BTW this prosperity will be a very bad examples for all the ex soviet republics, because Russia will start losing ground and influence over them), then why people from outside don't care about what they want? Why Russians don't listen to what common Georgians want?

I might be wrong about him. Maybe there are Georgians that will prove me wrong. All i want is to know non biased information and to get as much as i can to the bottom of this issue. We'll wait and see.

Felice-Rosso Wrote:Georgia has started this war. Not a final conclusion Firstly It was a genocide of Ossetian people (What about the killings of Georgians before the "genocide" did you know about it? or your Russian journalist doesn't mention it? and then Russia attacked georgian military installations!!!!With what right did your army enter the borders of an internationally recognized country? That's why Ossetian people still exist.Don't you worry about them! They still exist in Georgia; they lived with Georgians in peace, around 100,000 of them, again i guess you journalist forgot to mention this.

I would like to note that we never said that Abkhazia or South Ossetia do not form part of Georgia International laws have different opinion... Or you write your own laws?

Then to hear what our Ukrainian brothers are saying was particularly offending. Maybe what they say is the truth?? Did you ever think about it like this? They have different sources of information. and probably you didn't know that Ukraine is more democratic than Russia will ever be!!Could it be true that they lost their mind like Bush who in spite of the previous history of the American behavior, has stated that none of the countries is allowed to bomb the territory of any other country. Hearing it to the lips of an American president is particularly cynical. Just like the control shots to the heads of an Ossetian woman, which were supervised by an American instructor.Oh God i see it as a last resort for you guys!! BLAME Americans for everything. Could you at least have the deceancy to blame the Russian army for all the victims in Georgia? or... wait you're too proud. Plus i don't remeber seeing any US nor NATO troops killing people in Georgia.

You cannot imagine what meanness he gets from the people who, in spite of living in Russia, have a point of duty to shit on this country, And they bear a passport of a Russian citizen in their pockets. Shame on them! Decide: if you feel that you are on Saakashvili’s side it is better to return your passport and go to some other native land. And if you understand that the people are not guilty for the meanness of their governors, then behave yourself, with the dignity of true Russian citizens.there you go!! You spoke like a true Russian citizen! Ignorant and xenophobic!! What is the problem?? People of different nationalities cannot have their own opinions in Russia? Then this goes the same on Ossetians. They have Georgian passports in their pockets. If they direspect Georgia could move somewhere else? To Russia i gues, since Putin gave citizenships to the last dog in Ossetia.And Shame on them for not being true Georgian citizens!! The thing is we DON"T think like this in a civilised world!! Your last statement sound more Nazi than everything else!! God how i pity you

P.S The rest of your article i find it NOT interesting and not worthed commenting.. BTW did your journalist
Vladimir SOLOVIEV get any medal or award from Putin for his article? He should i see it works just fine on your brainsSmile)

I repeat my question to you as well... Is your country the best and the most objective and humanitarian on this planet an WE, the rest of the world all brainwashed and stupid?? One advise: RELAX!

GUYS I WILL POST SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING. IT WILL SOUND LIKE A DEJA-VU!Please read this HISTORY page and share your ideas!

Finland 1939 -Russian invasion.

During the inter-war period, the relationship between Finland and the Soviet Union was tense. Some elements in Finland maintained the dream of "Greater Finland" which included the Soviet-controlled part of Karelia. (controlled part of South Ossetia) The proximity of the Finnish border to Leningrad (Vladicavkaz) (now Saint Petersburg) caused worry in the Soviet leadership.

In 1938, negotiations started between Finland and the Soviet Union concerning the safety of Leningrad. No agreement was reached.
Finland was part of the Soviet sphere of influence. In November 1939, the Soviet Union accused the Finnish army of the shelling of the village of Mainila. (Russian federation accused Georgia of shelling Tskhinvali) of On November 30, the Soviet Union attacked Finland. (RF attacked Georgia)

(USSR expelled from World Liege of Nations because of the aggression against Finland) 14 декабря ― СССР исключён из Лиги Наций за нападение на Финляндию.
(Russian Federation on the road of being expelled from G8)

The Soviet forces arrayed against Finland greatly outnumbered the Finnish army. (Georgian Army outnumbered ) The Red Army enjoyed over a twofold advantage in the number of troops and even greater advantage in equipment, including a virtually complete air supremacy. The Soviet leadership also established a puppet regime (South Ossetia puppet president Eduard Kokoity) of Finnish Democratic Republic in an occupied border town in the hope that this would encourage the former "reds" of the Finnish Civil War to defect or to rebel.

The war, however, unfolded very differently. The country united against the aggressor and the puppet regime failed to have a noticeable effect. The Finnish army was fighting on their home turf in winter conditions with which they were very familiar. The high morale of Finnish troops, their flexible and creative strategies, the difficult terrain and harsh weather caused significant problems for the Red Army. The Soviets were routed in several key battles, the Battle of Suomussalmi being a classic example.

The war lasted for months rather than weeks, casualties mounted and the international prestige of the Soviet Union suffered. (Same thing happened today - Russia lost prestige) Finland negotiated for aid from Great Britain, France and Sweden. The two major powers sent some material aid, (Help from EU to Georgia) the most important being modern fighters that arrived just as the war was ending. Great expectations had been placed on Sweden as many hoped they would join the war on Finland's side. In the end aid was limited to material, money and volunteers. Despite sending 1/3 of its meagre force of fighters and the largest volunteer contingent from a single country during the 20th century the high early expectations have created resentment in Finland noticeable in the countries' otherwise close relations to this day.

By March 1940, sheer exhaustion led to the situation where both parties were willing to negotiate for a peace treaty. The Finnish Army was running out of even the most basic material, and the Soviet Union wanted to end the costly war that had become an international embarrassment. Nevertheless, Finland was the loser and in the Moscow Peace Treaty, the Finns had to make significant territorial concessions

Lor Wrote:I might be wrong about him. Maybe there are Georgians that will prove me wrong. All i want is to know non biased information and to get as much as i can to the bottom of this issue. We'll wait and see.

You know I was thinking reasons for this conflict. I believe russians are pretty much aware how west is
going to react - different kind on blocks. They knew that - and still proceed. As if they want just it.

So can it be usefull to russia, if it will be blocked:
I can find millions of reasons why it could be. Russia is pretty unaffiliated of western money - and oil
business will never be plocked - Indeed it certainly will press oil prices up. So it will have little or none
influence to their economy - it will continue growing regardless of all blocks.

What happens e.g. in neighbour countries:
They are going to increase military budgets hugely and they do it in situation where their economy
is in deep regression ( compare to Georgia 15% of GDB has gone to military ).Those regions will
also suffer economically of bad relations whit russia. So economical future of those countries will
be really poor. Later people will be very dissatisfied to continue that politic.
10 years - and they can see people living in russia more wealthy than themself.

Lor Wrote:GUYS I WILL POST SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING. IT WILL SOUND LIKE A DEJA-VU!Please read this HISTORY page and share your ideas!

Partly it is similar situation.
This article You posted don't however mention that there was 2 consectuive wars
so called "Talvisota" (Winter war) 30.11.1939 -12.03.1940 and
"Jatkosota" ( Continuation War ) 25.6.1941–19.9.1944

Before "Talvisota" there was any provocation by us against Russians - and there was also no
"frozen conflicts" between us. Russian reasons were purely geopolitical.
"Jatkosota" ( the much longer and more important for us) was a different story.
Shortly - We simply tried to get back what we had lost.
And learned something during it - equity don't materialize for small countries....

I just heard that Russians seem to retreat.Today is the extraordinary crisis summit with all the EU and NATO members. I hope this time they will withdraw for REAL! and after that UN will send REAL peacekeepers in Georgia. :ange

independent Wrote:
Lor Wrote:GUYS I WILL POST SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING. IT WILL SOUND LIKE A DEJA-VU!Please read this HISTORY page and share your ideas!

Before "Talvisota" there was any provocation by us against Russians - and there was also no
And learned something during it - equity don't materialize for small countries....

Thanks for the extra info! I do agree with you! Always tough for the small countries!!

independent Wrote:

I tend to disagree with some of the things you posted. Russia didn't have only a geopolitical interest. The more i read about this wars in Finland, the more i can't help associating them with present situation in Georgia.

Finland feared Soviet aggression, but the Soviet leadership feared that Finland will provide a hostile Soviet Union Western countries (notably Germany or the UK) the opportunity to attack the Soviet Union from its territory. (Same thing today, Russia feared NATO being present on Caucasus region)

On November 26 "Pravda" magazine an article "Shut gorohovy's premiere" translate as "Idiot Premiere", which was the signal to start anti-Finland promotional campaign.
(All Russian SMI positioned Saakashvilli as an Idiot, and paranoid since 2004)
The same day an artillery bombardment of the USSR at the locality Maynila, allegedly staged the Soviet side.
The blame for this incident was given to Finland. (Russia bleme Georgia for all problems in that region)

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Benn - 08-19-2008

Russian troops won't retire entirely. On the contrary, Russia mentioned that it will leave even more peacemaking forces on the boarder between South Osetia and Georgia.

Benn Wrote:Russian troops won't retire entirely. On the contrary, Russia mentioned that it will leave even more peacemaking forces on the boarder between South Osetia and Georgia.

I'm not surprised!!! Can't never trust what Medvedev says. He already broke his word 3 times!

Re: Georgia and South Ossetia at war - Blame Russia - 08-19-2008

Lor Wrote:I just heard that Russians seem to retreat.Today is the extraordinary crisis summit with all the EU and NATO members. I hope this time they will withdraw for REAL! and after that UN will send REAL peacekeepers in Georgia. :ange
Retreat? No. It was georgian army who cowardly retreated.
And who are REAL peacekeepers? Americans? Oh, yes, if they could than they would peacekeep evere country in this world. Vietnam, Afghanisthan, Iraq...South Ossetia? Jesus H. Christ, when, WHEN USA shall stop putting its nose into every country, every conflict. When it will value a human life, lifes of their own soldiers, citizens? omg...

Sorry for interrupting you, guys, but
Medvedev didn't broke his word for 3 times. news are telling that he has broke his word for three times. feel the difference

Lor Wrote:Finland feared Soviet aggression, but the Soviet leadership feared that Finland will provide a hostile Soviet Union Western countries (notably Germany or the UK) the opportunity to attack the Soviet Union from its territory. (Same thing today, Russia feared NATO being present on Caucasus region)

I used term geopolitical just for that ( trying to point that they had nothing agains Finland -
but they were afraid what other countries can do true Finland ). And that part is similar to Georgia, I think.
So for me this war is also a geopolitical one. Where I see an difference is that somehow it seem
Saakashvili was not capable to see that. There is always a line not to cross...

Lor Wrote:I'm not surprised!!! Can't never trust what Medvedev says. He already broke his word 3 times!

In west we are always trying to analyze what he mean - Indeed he didn't say anything like
withdrawing russian troops soon. We only want to think he said that.

So - many times it is more reliable to listen what is said - rather than trying to analyze
what is meant.... The same thing happened with discussion Bush-Putin (Sotshi)
Putin said directly that they are going to act ( But it was analyzed to be only for threat )